Tuesday 5 July 2011

TOP FUNF



I think this is probably in my top 10, no 5, songs ever along with these ones off the top of my head really quickly -

1. The intro to Dire Straits 'Money For Nothing'.

When I was about 9 or 10, me and my friend Mark Lewis (now bald working in a canning factory, sorry Mark) used to put this on my dad's hi-fi cassette player, take our shoes off and 'ski-dance' frantically on the top of our expensive gregorian-style Ercol dining room table. The action of rubbing our socked feet on the highly polished mahogony tabletop made for a tingling experience. As soon as it got to Knophler's excellent guitar break signalling the beginning of the song proper, we would jump off the table, stop the tape, rewind it to the start and eagerly begin the whole ritual again from the top. This would go on for hours. Endlessly ski-dancing, endlessly rewinding, endlessly tingling.

2.Neu - Hallogallo.

I think I like this song all the more for finding out the title is a German slang term for 'wild partying'. This song doesnt sound like Wild Partying to me, it's more like a chill sway but all the better for it. Do you understand?

3.The Shamen - Scientas

I guess this was the first music that touched on 'psychedelic' that I ever encountered. As previously written here, I would put this on my walkman whenever it rained and just stare at the rain, breathe in the rain smell, and kind of just zone out. The Shamen used to sound like Spacemen 3 and that is FUCKING COOL ok?

4. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - I Can Be A Jerk

A theme tune of sorts. The term 'Sausageman' was coined after a first date with a certain person culminating in me not only losing the first of 5 iphones, but also purchasing a 2 foot long saucisson from an off-licence, taking a bite (through the plastic) and then hurling the remaining 1.78 ft at the windscreen of an oncoming 149. This song is about me doing romantic stuff like that. What a gent

5. tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment